Friday, January 11, 2008

On Thursday of this week we made silly putty. It was very easy and fun to make. Although a little messy when you let Ambry help. :) Here is the list of ingredients you will need:
  1. 1 cup of glue
  2. 1 cup of water
  3. Mix those ingredients together. I did that in the metal bowl pictured below.
  4. In a separate container mix 1 cup of warm water with your choice of food coloring (or no food coloring if you just want white.) with 1 tbsp of Borax. Mix until the Borax is completely dissolved.
  5. Take 3/4 a cup of the mixture of Borax and pour into the glue mixture. The remaining 1/4 will be thrown away. You will need to knead the mixture at this point. It will seriously feel like brain matter. Not that I have ever felt brain matter but if I had to venture a guess I would say it would feel like silly putty before it is all mixed together. :)


Here is what the finished product should look like.

I bought these little containers at Gordon Foods and they ended up being the perfect size. This is 3 different batches that I made. We still have purple to do because, oh the horror, if we don't have any purple silly putty!

FYI: Do NOT let this stuff get on clothes, carpet, or in hair. If it does, take an ice cube, freeze it, and then try to peel it up.

Have fun!

Labels:


Comments:
Looks like fun I can only imagine the mess if I made that stuff with my boys. We've already had a crayon through the wash recently I can only imagine the damage this would do:) Some day I'll get brave and try it. Will you bring one to church so I can feel the texture of it?
 
The kids loved it! Biggie loves to put the polly pocket animals in it. It has brought hours of entertainment already! It really does have the brain matter texture:)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?