Wednesday, December 20, 2006

WORKS FOR ME WEDNESDAY...

Since we don't celebrate anything Christmas, it makes it hard when I receive things but don't give. Last night my neighbour brought over some bonket(sp?) that she made. Sooo, I broke out the baking supplies also and made my candy and fudge that I normally make. It is the easiest thing in the world to do and really doesn't take all that much time. Here are some recipes:

FUDGE
2 1/2 cups sugar
5 oz. evaporated milk
3/4 tsp. salt
7 oz. jar of marshamallow creme
1/4 cup butter
Mix these ingredients all together in a nice big mixing pan on the stove and bring to a rolling boil. When I say that...this stuff must be HOT! It should be boiling and popping every which way. Also, CONTINUE to stir the entire time or else your sugar will burn and stick to the bottom of the pan. I use a wooden spoon. When that has all come to a boil, 1 tsp. vanilla and 12 oz of chocolate. Stir together until everything is well blended and pour into a greased 12X9 pan. (Or 13X9...whatever that common size of pan is) :) Then throw it outside or if you live somewhere warm, your fridge. This can make about 88 pieces. Some variations you can do are: 6 oz. of choc. chips and about 1 cup of peanut butter. You could put almond extract in, or raspberry, or mint also. You could also use butterscotch chips instead of choc. or peanut butter chips to make just peanut butter fudge. There are so many different things you can do with this stuff. Have fun with it!

PEPPERMINT CANDY
1 pkg. almond bark-either choc. or white choc.
Peppermint candy canes-as many as you want depending on how chunky and sweet you like
I put the candy canes in a freezer storage bag, then take a hammer and beat them on my cutting board until they are all completely broken up and there are no big chunks left. Then melt your choc. and dump in your candy canes. Pour this on a huge cookie sheet that has been layered with wax paper and smooth it all out so it is nice and thin. Again, throw it outside to cool or put it in the fridge. When it is completely cooled down, simply break it into pieces and you are all done. Very easy!

BULLSEYES(or whatever you want to call them--there are so many names for these)
There are no basic measurements for these. Just take a huge scoop of peanut butter and mix it together with powdered sugar until it is no longer sticky. Form them into balls and cool them. Melt almond bark choc. and then take the balls and roll them in. Put them on a cookie tray that has been layered with wax paper and cool them. All done. Even easier.

PEPPERMINT PATTIES
Melt almond bark choc. and add a splash of peppermint extract. Take Ritz crackers(or whatever is on sale-think cheap) and dip them into the choc. mixture. Put them on a wax papered layered cookie tray and cool. All done. Again, super easy.

Once I have all of my candy done, I put it all into a tin, with a variety of everything and hand them out. Fairly cheap, and afterall, it isn't how much you spend but how much thought and effort you put into your gifts. I will usually put the candy in a tin that I get from the dollar store. So now I have something nice that I can give in return when I get things from my neighbours.

This is what Works for Me. To see more great ideas, go to Rocks in My Dryer.

Labels:


Comments:
Sounds good, thanks for sharing! =)
 
I'll have to try your fudge recipe sometimes. I'm not a huge fan of fudge but hubby likes it. It'll be awhile though start of the new year he's on a health craze he said.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?